background

Friday, July 20, 2012

He speaks

I have decide that you have not truly lived until you have read your Bible by lantern in the middle of the night in Africa. The Lord has really been stirring my soul in the months leading up to this trip. And the stirring has not stopped yet. If you are wondering if or how God speaks to people today. Let me share.

- I felt a sudden urge to open my bible and memorize James 1:2-4 a week before we were to leave for Zambia. "consider it pure joy my brothers when you face trials of many kinds. For the testing of your FAITH develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work in you so that you may be mature and complete not lacking anything." This verse became engraved on my heart just days before my FAITH would be tested by airport delays, a paralyzing fear of flying, anxiety of leaving my family, and the emotion and fear that accompanies being sick in another country. He spoke to me then.

- in the midst of great anxiety while sick in the middle of the night in Zambia. I allowed fear to consume me. For a moment I threw my faith out the window and allowed God's promises to be diluted by my anxious thoughts. But before I knew I would have those thoughts, He knew. He spoke. The 2 days I was traveling I was literally singing " Search me, oh God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Psalm 139: 23-24. He searched me. He showed me my anxious thoughts and the places in my heart that I was not fully trusting in Him. It took traveling 10,000 miles to see how little FAITH I really had. He spoke to me then.

- In the midst of the anxiety and fear the night I was sick I turned on one of my favorite worship songs "healer" and turned to my grandmother's favorite Psalm. Psalm 91:14-16 " If you"ll hold on to me for dear life, says God, I'll get you out of any trouble. I'll give you the best of care if you'll only get to know and trust me. Call me and I'll answer, be at your side in bad times; I'll rescue you, then throw you a party. I'll give you a long life, give you the drink of salvation!" wow. My fear and anxiety began to flee and I was able to just hold on to Him for dear life. That is not something that my comfortable little life allows me to do very often. The Lord knew he would have to get me far away from the things and people I rely on for trust and comfort to show me that I didn't have as much FAITH as I thought I did. Humbling.

These are just a few of the ways I have heard His voice. Seen His fingerprints. Felt His presence. I have not taught a single lesson in the 5 days since I left home to go teach the people of Zambia. That's what I came here to do. But the Lord had much different plans for me. He had so much more to teach me. So, in case you were wondering, He still speaks. We just have to be still and quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment