background

Thursday, July 19, 2012

What an adventure!

I had breakfast in Paris and dinner somewhere between Kenya and Zambia. Today I have seen the Alps, the Mediterranean Sea, and the Sahara Desert. I always love the opportunity to marvel at God's creation. We are about to arrive in Lusaka Zambia after flying for the over 24 hours. We are very ready for a shower and our first chance to lay down! This is the third flight we have been on since we left home, but not our last. tomorrow morning we will go back to the airport to catch our flight from Lusaka to Mfuwe, then we will drive for about 3 hours to Mwanya! I am so excited to see the rest of our group and hear their stories as well as share ours.

I wrote that while on the flight from Kenya to Zambia. My excitement Quickly changed upon our arrival. Once We made it through customs we found out that 2 of our 4 bags had been lost. We finally made it through the line of others that had also lost luggage. We seemed to be the last ones to leave the airport. we arrived at our hotel to rest for a few hours and go back to the airport to head to mfuwe and Mwanya. Once we settled into our room it was around 1 am here in Zambia and I started feeling really bad. After I showered I noticed that my legs were really hard and swollen. They had started bothering me when were in Paris. I tried to drink a lot of water and keep moving around while we were on the plane. I think the combination of exhaustion, nausea, and the fear that something may be really wrong with me sent me into a slight panic. Oh and not to mention all of this is happening in a third world country! The Hotel had a doctor and a nurse on call. We spoke with the doctor and he told us there was nothing the could be done until morning. They sent the nurse up to check my vitals. I had had fever off and on and my blood pressure was high. By early morning I started vomiting. We took a taxi to the doctor. That visit was answered prayers! It went so much better than I was expecting! There were several Egyptian doctors and I was very pleased with my treatment. They ruled out thrombosis and said it was just
edema. And said I probably had a virus. We were finally able to get a hold of Mike to tell him what was goin on. He had just come out of the bush to pick us up for the second time, and for the second time we were not there! He helped us reach the other missionaries that work here in Lusaka. We felt much better at that point to have some familiar faces around! We made the decision that my Dad would take the first flight out the next day to meet up with Mike in Mfuwe and drive out to the bush in Mwanya. I am staying at the missionary guesthouse in Lusaka for a couple of days and then I will fly to mfuwe to meet up with the group! We figured that would be the safest option for me since there is not distilled water or a doctor in Mwanya.

No comments:

Post a Comment