background

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Take 2

Consider it pure joy my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds. For the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work in you so that you can be mature and complete, not lacking anything. - James 1:2-4 This was the verse that I felt the need to memorize last Sunday while driving to lunch after church. I didn't realize why I would need it later in the week. We made it home safe and sound last night. I was just as emotional walking in the door as I was walking out the door 12 hour earlier. Though I clearly saw the Lord's hand in everything that transpired yesterday, there was grief in my heart the we would not be going to Zambia. I kept seeing the smiling faces of the people my heart was longing to see again. Would I ever have the opportunity to go again? Don't get me wrong, I was very happy to be home with Chris and Emma after such an emotional day. I couldn't help but think about how I was going to have to tell the whole emotional story each time someone asked about our trip to Zambia. We had a quiet morning and headed out for breakfast for my little family of three. At one point in the car, Emma started crying because I was not going to be able to make it to Africa. She folded her hands and began to pray, " God, please let Mommy go to Africa, amen." I'm so thankful for my sweet girl. It is moment like that when I feel like my heart could explode with love for her that I am reminded that the Lord loves her even more than I am capable of. I know her sweet prayer filled His heart this morning. We then head over to my parents house to visit and and see if my Dad had been able to get ahold of anyone from our team in Zambia. They were already out in the bush were there is no way to reach anyone on the phone. Mike (the missionary we work with) was scheduled to be at a safari lodge soon since he thought he would be picking us up the following morning. At this point, my Dad has not given up and he has been looking at every possible way to get us to Zambia. Once we were able to tAlk to Mike, he tells us it won't be a problem for us to come a few days late. Open door. Next step, get on the phone with the airline. My Dad was on the phone for almost an hour being transferred between agents 3 or 4 times. Earlier in the day, he was told that KLM would get to keep the money from our fares because it was not their fault that we missed the flight. The third agent he spoke with told us there was a flight that leaves Houston on Sunday and gets to Zambia late Monday night. But we would have to pay the full fare. I just began praying about this whole situation. I layed it at His feet. "Lord if it is your will for us to go please make it clear. If not, please close the door just like you did yesterday. Please just show us your will and give us peace and discernment." I felt at peace. There are so few times we allow ourselves to be completely at the mercy of God's will. But that is we're I was. The Lord had shown me the day before the things in my heart that needed to change. And in a matter of hours, He changed me. I went back to where my Dad was still on the phone with the airline. he had agreed to pay the full fare to get us there when then agent said she would have to transfer him again because she couldn't book it because it was through Air France instead of KLM. Transferred. My Dad starts the whole story all over again about how we missed arrived hours late in Houston and literally watched our flight leave without us. Then the agent tells him, " sir, you are already booked on the 4:05 flight for tomorrow, it's already done." There were no additional charges, no explanation, it was done. Who knew God was in the travel agent business?! Open door. So here we go again friends. At His mercy, we will drive to Houston in the morning, fly from Houston to Paris (which happens to be on my bucket list!), to Kenya, to Zambia. I don't think I have ever learned more about the Lord , myself and my relationship with Him in such a short period of time. He has so clearly worked in our lives in the last few days. I have a completely different perspective now. I feel better about going and I am anxious to see His next step for us. I am especially thankful for the time at home and the chance to say goodbye with more faith and less fear this time. I was reminded yesterday that we are to walk by faith and not by sight. There are things in this life that we will never understand or find the meaning of. Please continue to pray for His will to be done and for Him to prepare our path. THIS is my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment